Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Roasted Beet and Sweet Potato Spring Salad

First of all I need to mention that this recipe is very much inspired by one from the blog "Coconut and Quinoa", which I really love.  I made a few adjustments based on my taste preferences, but I definitely give credit to Amy Chaplin of Coconut and Quinoa.  I stumbled upon her blog recently (after starting my blog) and realized that not only are our blog names very similar, but that we have a similar cooking style as well!

This salad epitomizes what it means to "eat the rainbow."  I have an obsession with golden beets and made a special trip to the Farmer's Market to get them for this salad.  They are just so vibrant and don't have as strong of a flavor of beets as the red ones (I love beets, but some people aren't huge fans of theirs.  I know, I don't get it either.  Don't get me started on avocado-haters.)
Golden beets, Red beets, and Sweet Potatoes--so gorgeous!

Even the compost is beautiful!
Serves 6?  Depends on your appetite!  Nothing to feel guilty about in this salad.
  • 3 large golden beets 
  • 4 medium red beets
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes
  • Organic arugula (and other mixed greens)
  • Fresh sweet peas (shelled)
  • Small bunch of Basil leaves
  • 1 cup raw walnuts
1.  Wash vegetables well!  You don't have to peel them, but if they have especially tough skin, peel that part off.
2.  Slice beets and sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch slices.  Cut in half.  They should be small enough to fit in a bite.
3.  Grease baking pan with coconut oil.
4.  Spread veggies on pan and lightly season with salt and pepper.
5.  Roast at 400 degrees (or if you have a conventional baking setting, for 375 degrees) for about 20 minutes.
6.  While vegetables are roasting, you can shell fresh peas (I recommend this!), chiffonade basil into thin ribbons, and make dressing.
7.  With about 5 minutes left in the oven, sprinkle walnuts over veggies for a quick toasting.
8.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
9.  Add roasted vegetables, peas, basil, and walnuts on top of a bed of greens.  Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.
All done!  I added walnuts at the end for some toasting.
Sliced vegetables ready for roasting.
Citrus-Mustard Vinaigrette


Citrus-Mustard Vinaigrette

  • 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. Whole Grain Mustard
  • 1 Tbsp. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (I use Bragg's)
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 tsp. Agave Nectar
  • Salt and Pepper
Place all ingredients in jar and shake!

Finished salad.  So colorful!

Don't forget to compost your scraps!

No comments:

Post a Comment